Monday, March 17, 2008

Celiac Maniac!

Because what the world needs is one more celiac blog.

All right. There's plenty of celiac and gluten-free advice out there. Some deal with the lifestyle, like Gluten-Free Girl, and some are recipe-based, like Gluten-Free Goddess. When I see good posts at these and more, I'll point you there.

This blog is good, concise advice. Mostly, I'll review recipes from cookbooks or other sites and list my additions or changes to them, review readily available GF products, and review restaurants, especially chain restaurants.

We all have differences in taste. Personally, I'm a whole-grain, grainy kind of person. Before my diagnosis, I liked multi-grain bread, like 12-grain, with nuts and seeds and twigs and leaves in it. One time, I found 18-grain bread and ate it with nothing but olive oil. Yummy!

Since my diagnosis, however, I've found that many of the bread recipes that I've found (and I've found lots, I looooove cookbooks,) are less whole-grainy. In one of Bette Hagman's books, she describes her "cornstarch" bread as "the closest thing we have to Wonder Bread," as if that was a good thing. That's when I started experimenting.

Well, Bette was the gluten-free pioneer, and we all owe her a great debt.

TK Kenyon
Author of the non-celiac novels: RABID: A Novel and CALLOUS: A Novel

No comments: